Friday, September 5, 2008

The darkest, darker, dark, bright, brighter...

Our Provincial Team consisted of only 5 runners + a coach (not Kołcz but Piotruś) this time. In this chamber atmosphere we spent 4 days in Otwock-Śródborów preparing for the coming Polish Champs in night and long distance orienteering. In fact, the main goal of this short camp was to become more courageous and self-confident while running with a map at night. I think we did our best and achieved what we really wanted!

NIGHT...

We slept there 3 nights, that's why we also had 3 night trainings! I think I should mention our 'enormous' headlamps at first. Thanks to the light they gave we could see the terrain not farther than 5-15m from us - probably it was supposed to be a training method as well...
The first time was the worst! Just before my start I was shuddering with fear. The fact that only me and Zielu (10 minutes behind me) were going to be in the completely dark forest between 8 and 10.30 p.m. was really frightening. But we both managed to finish that course in spite of the fact that we could hear some dogs barking really loud which made our hearts beat faster.
The next two trainings at night were considerably better, especially the last one organised by UNTS Warsaw. I even joked I was the king of the night but I don't really think I deserve this honour now. Maybe in two weeks' time... :-)





...and DAY

In the mornings back to normal and relatively easy orienteering.



No comments: