Wednesday, July 7, 2010

JWOC long map and analysis

I didn't start my race well. I made mistakes at the first two controls (0'50 and 0'35). I think they were caused by my not competing in sprint the previous day...
Then, I went a bit too far at the 6th control (0'20). I had problems leaving that control and attacking the next one (0'15). I decided to go straight and ran too much to the left (0'10).
The butterflies weren't as tricky as I had expected them to be. However, I took the wrong route choice to the 10th one (0'15), because I caught some other runner at the 9th control and wanted to run away from him as fast as possible. Then, a 'mirror' mistake to the 12th control (0'10).
I managed to run the middle part of the course (between controls no. 13 and 24) in 33:56, while the Junior World Champion's (Pavel Kubat's) time was 32:40. It's really promising;)
The 25th control was one of the trickiest ones, because situated in the green. I should have chosen the left route choice. But I didn't and went too far there (0'30) - I was lucky not to lose more time in that area.
During the last loop I felt really exhausted. That's why I took a round route choice to the 27th control, which turned out to be much worse than the straight one using the paths. I must have lost most of this time trying to get down in dense green (0'45).
Even the last control was very difficult! Firstly, you had to get uphill (which was terribly tiring) and then, find the control somewhere in the bushes. I landed a bit too much to the left, but saw the tapes after a short while (0'10).

Summing it all up, it was quite difficult to estimate how much time I lost. However, I tried to do so and it turned out that I lost about 4mins due to my mistakes. If it hadn't been for them, I would have taken the... 16th place. Sounds miserable, but my physical shape that day wasn't as good as I would have wished to. So the TOP 10 result seems to have been possible. Maybe in the middle?

No comments: