Friday, May 7, 2010

Self-reliance in Gdańsk


The map published in my last post comes from a contour training which we did on 24th April in Gniewowo. I got completely lost while running (or better: thinking I was running) to the 2nd control. I must admit I wasn't concentrated enough. But on the other hand I just couldn't understand this map. The same problem had Hewi and Cilu... I hope it was my worst race in the 2010 season;) On the left I present the whole map with my routes - try not to choke with laughter!:)

The same day in the morning we competed in a really nice sprint in Rumia. Although, I had only about 10 minutes to warm up, I took this race very seriously and wanted to compare my shape with the others. The result was very satisfying. I would have taken the 3rd place losing only 11secs to Mały and just 1sec to Hewi. Why would? In spite of being at the 7th control and being sure I punched it, I didn't succeed in doing it and got disqualified. From that moment I started believing it's possible (it was my first such experience after nearly 5 years of orienteering). All in all, I was extremely happy with the time I managed to achieve!:)

On Sunday we were to start in a long distance competition. I started very focused on map reading, since I wanted to avoid losing so much time like the day before. Thanks to it, my race went really ok and I made only some minor mistakes. My pace was quite good as well but sometimes I had some short periods of crisis. Eventually, I finished 3rd losing no more than 2mins to Jacek Nowak and less than 1min to Lupek. This result made me very motivated and determined for the coming technical camp in Sweden.

No comments: