Monday, May 10, 2010

Forsta strackor in Rydzyny

On Saturday Pasza decided to organise a first legs training in Rydzyny. Some of us helped him set the controls in the forest and punctually at 11:19 we were ready for the mass start!

I was extremely motivated to run as fast as possible and win the race. My goal for that training was to be in the lead most of the time, make my own decisions and not to look at the others.

On the start line there were 10 competitors in our class: Pasza, Zielu, Łukasz, Kubiaczek, Witek, Jeżu, Kluska, Kamil, Dzidek and me.

START - I grabbed my map and started running extremely fast to the start triangle. I just wanted to have as much fun as possible;) my pace during these 366m was 2:56/km.

1. (forking) - The forking here was obvious for everyone, I think. I had no problems finding my control and punched it first just a while ahead of Cilu. However, judging from my Garmin routes and the fact that I had to go much to the left after crossing the path I am not sure if the control was situated in the appropriate hole...

2. - Very easy control. We were told that there was no fence there before the race.

3. - I left the 2nd control first and kept the right direction to the next one. Unfortunately, I must have confused some areas and started running much too far to the right. Probably I was thinking that I was going from the 1st control... Suddenly, I saw a control and ran towards it. Obviously, it was not mine. I turned back and saw a whole group of runners approaching the right control. 40 seconds lost

4. - Immediately, I started catching up with the group and overtaking them. I was 2nd just some metres before the control, but Witek fell down and I got the opportunity to take the lead.

5. - I thought I was going much more to the right at the beginning, but realised I was wrong while passing the track and the pasture just after it. Then, Cilu set a really good pace and I followed him to the 5th control.

6. - I managed to gain a considerable time advantage on this long leg, but still saw Pasza behind me.

7. - I knew it was going to be a tricky control... I ran between the green areas and was sure that the control would appear in some seconds. But it didn't. I felt that I went a bit too far. Unfortunately, I couldn't guess whether I should go left or right. Then, the whole group came and Cilu started running to the right. I thought it was quite possible and followed him, like all the others did. Afterwards, for about 2mins we were just looking at ourselves and jogging in this area. Suddenly, Pasza noticed that it already was the other path we just passed and we all turned back to the control, where Kluska was already waiting for us... 2'20 lost!

8. (forking) - I didn't expect a forking here. However, I didn't look at the others and took my own route choice. That's why I punched the 8th control first just some seconds ahead of Pasza.

9. - Just a formality, me punching first.

10. - Quite a long, easy leg in the part of the forest with great runnability and visibility. I was approaching the place where the control should have been situated and suddenly saw a control on my right side. I looked at the map and became certain there can't have been any forking. However, as most uf us thought the control was wrongly set. My Garmin and Cilu picking this control made it clear;)

11. (forking) - I set these controls before the course and was sure how to attack them. I punched my control alone and on my way to the next one I saw Pasza punching the another one from that forking. We managed to run away from the chasing group and from that moment a 1,4km long finish began for us...

12. - I didn't want to give the lead away and managed to follow the best route choice possible.

13. - It was just keeping the right direction and going through the small green areas.At the end of this leg Pasza decided to speed up a bit, but I was very determined to punch the last control first and I succeeded in pursuing my goal.

FINISH - I did my best so as not to let Pasza overtake me and I became a lucky winner with the advantage of only 3secs over him and about 1min over Łukasz and Cilu.

The course length was 7,08km and the time I achieved was 36:13. This makes a nice route pace of 5:07/km. If it hadn't been for my 2 mistakes of about 3mins altogether, the pace would have been about 4:41/km...
Nevertheless, I am unbelievably satisfied with my performance and my physical shape. I was in the lead almost all the time and that's what I actually wanted!

No comments: