Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My memory is quite good :)

Firstly, I would like to present a short summary of my performances at Orienteering Festival 2008, so let's begin:
  • 6 days
  • 33,3km of courses
  • 1170m climbing
  • 98 controls found
  • running time of 242:41.
It all allowed me to reach the 13th place (of 75 competitors in M18). Although the scoring system (only 4 best results were taken into account) was quite fair of course, it was really unfavourable for my prestart assumptions as I wanted to have six equal and technically good races... and more or less I had! Therefore I am very satisfied with my performance in Czech Republic and happy about the great opportunity we all had to spend a week among our sports idols.

The men's podium in the most prestigious distance at WOC 2008 - long.


Technical training in our favourite terrain ;-)

I have had no technical training in Łagiewnicki forest for a long time but I was looking forward for that fantastic day to come. In the morning we all gathered in the so-called 'Bar under the larch' to improve our memory and techniques.

The main goal of this training was to collect as many points (out of 12) as possible in the time of 45 minutes. It was a scorelauf so the order of points didn't really matter. It was also quite a good challenge for our memories as we had no map in hand while running, these were only at the start and every control.

My starting minute was one of the last ones and I was strongly surprised when I came into the finish and saw almost no-one there! However, I hadn't planned to run fast but after control number 35, where I saw Piotrek and his quite high speed level, I began to speed up.

I only wish I had run in my perfect Salomon shoes, which I had even taken in my backpack, but it became impossible as I forgot that one of the laces had been ripped during my training camp in Sweden and I was too lazy to change them before and after this training session. But in fact, it wasn't that bad to run in the ordinary Nike shoes =)

I have just one little problem after today's race. I'll have to look for some empty space on my wall to hang the today's results there. There are not so many days in year that you manage to beat our chairman...!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that doesn't happen everyday. wish you all the best.

Anonymous said...

I'm really impressed with your enthusiasm. This blog exists only 3days, but You are able to write so many notes. It's nice to see that orienteering gives U so much pleasure. Don't lose your ardor, good luck. We are waiting for next notes.

P.S.Congratulations for "memory scorelauf"