Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The most demanding sprint race in my career?

I think there's no need to write about all the things from the past. I should have plenty of time to describe all the races, trainings and O-adventures since 19th April. Moreover, these hoary old chestnuts aren't interesting  any more!

Now I am in the beautiful city of Alicante in warm Spain. Only some hours are left before my first start in World University Orienteering Championships. I skipped the yesterday's long distance race and today I am going to compete in the sprint competition.

The preparations went quite OK for me - I managed to avoid any serious injuries or training breaks. I did some really good sprint training sessions. Obviously, it might have been better - like always... However, I feel pretty well prepared, I am healthy, I feel no pain. My last tough physical training took place 5 days ago, so my muscles aren't sore and I am ready to take the challenge!

The first man starts at 16:30, the last one at 18:10 (regards, 'cwelu'!), whereas my start is at 17:24. One of the main favourites - the Czech guy, Stepan Kodeda - starts one minute behind me. I would love not to be overtaken by him. I will do my best! I have a really good attitude and am looking forward to running an interesting course in the sprint paradise, called Alicante.

The prestart area is on the top of the Santa Barbara castle - amazing place! The course is 2,8km and includes as much as 135m of climb! 20% of the race is going to take place in some (probably hilly) parks and the other 80% in the city alleys. I just have to leave these parks as soon as possible and then I'll be in my element!

P.S. I totally recommend: http://biegnaorientacje.pl/!

5 comments:

Gwoździk said...

powodzonka! :)

Unknown said...

we keep our fingers crossed for you and the rest of the representation. Do your best!

Anonymous said...

Where the wall was this time?

Podzio said...

In the lack of training in this type of sprint terrain. No opportunities in Poland to do it...

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see the map from this competition. I have been at SB castle few years ago and the view was absolutely breathtaking :))