Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I've finally found the right rhythm!

It all began almost 2 weeks ago when I left Łódź for a long sport camp.


After taking part in short medical tests in the north of Poland we made our way towards Germany to compete in International Ostsee OL 2010. It was the last chance for me to show something before announcing the list of runners to represent Poland at the coming JWOC in Denmark. However, I felt no pressure at all, because I had completely changed my attitude after a real disaster at PCC one week earlier... and it was the best thing I could have done at that moment!

On Friday we took part in a model event so as to get used to this kind of terrain.

The competition itself started on Saturday with the middle distance race. That day I felt quite well physically, but I wasn't able to feel the map. I had problems understanding the contours, estimating the distance and keeping the direction. That's why I made more than 5mins of mistakes and got a miserable place on the result list.

Next day there was a WRE race - 15,7km and 450m of climb. I had been looking forward to taking part in it for a really long time. My performance was very close to perfect! I took a round route choice to the 5th control (which turned out to be pretty good). It involved extremely fast running using tracks. Probably that's why I got a bit tired afterwards and lost about 2mins to the next control... However, I decided not to give up, because I still felt a grat chance of achieving a brilliant result. The rest of the course went pretty well (despite some hesitations near controls: 12, 23 and 25). I only thought that my pace at the end of the race was too slow. Nevertheless, it turned out that everyone got tired then and my pace was one of the best ones (comparing to other Polish runners). Eventually, I managed to gain a podium place (3rd) and the best time among the Poles (18secs faster than Rino and 5mins ahead of Hewi). I really needed this magnificent performance, because it made me believe it is possible to win with them - a positive signal before the Polish Champs:) What's more, I think this race showed me and everyone else that I am the appropriate person to run JWOC 2010.

The same day in the evening we took part in a nice city sprint in Heringsdorf. We felt really tired and decided to take it easy, just for fun. Only Hewi decided to run a bit faster and won the elite class;) Seeing the control descriptions before the race we organized a small competition for us all. The aim was to achieve the best time possible on the leg 10-11. The winner was Rino (who took the left route choice) with the time of 1:06. Slavko and I took the 2nd place (following the red line) - 1:08.

On Monday there was a hunting start. The course was quite long again - 11,2km. Although I didn't manage to catch Rino during the race, I was very satisfied with my performance, because I achieved the best time among the Poles once again (over 1 minute ahead or Rino and Hewi). The course was physically demanding, but as for the technical aspects - it was much too easy...

All in all, the only thing I can regret is the poor performance at the 1st stage, because of which I missed the podium (4th place in general classification). However, I am incredibly happy about this stay in Germany, because it just must have been a real breakthrough in my career during this season!


Afterwards Rino and I waited for Pałka and Dyzia to come from Baltic Cup in Poland and we all travelled to Denmark for a short technical camp before JWOC 2010 then.

My goal was to familiarize myself with the challenging terrain, especially running (or even walking) and orienteering through the green areas (they are awfully green, I must say!), reading the dunes precisely and keeping the right direction.

I had 8 technical trainings there, 2 of which were fast ones. Comparing my technical performance to the one from the last year (on the same maps) I got to know that I made an enormous progress and I am so happy about it! ;-)


On 29th June we travelled to Szklarska Poręba by car (more than 1000km!) to spend some days working on our physical abilities. I must admit this camp wasn't so exhausting as the previous one about a month ago. However, we did some demanding training sessions - we even had a technical training in pairs once;) Unfortunately, the weather was awful almost all the time...


On Friday evening we moved to Czech Republic with the Polish Junior Team and competed in two races of Gigasport Cesky pohar 2010. Most of us decided to run at full speed only during the middle distance course on Saturday. That day the terrain was just too challenging for us all and the results we achieved were miserable. It's been my first time in the rocks this year, so nothing to be surprised at.

I took the tough long distance race on Sunday very easily. My pace was really close to the so-called 'holiday' one - I only tried to avoid making unnecessary mistakes and I somehow managed. I succeeded in gaining the 14th spot (exactly the same as in the middle) - weird... To tell you everything, this time the weather was just brilliant, even a bit too brilliant;)


After all these amazing adventures I could finally reach my home on Sunday evening and take a wonderful rest! Now I am just ahead of an interval training before Polish Championships in Gdańsk this weekend.
Can't wait to fight for the medals there!

No comments: